Tuesday 30 March 2010

Just sharing an experience.

I was fortunate enough to be teaching at Surrey University on Saturday and I feel the need to share my experience, why you ask because I saw innovation in action and it worked, not the case at my workplace where every barrier possible is popped in the way.

I arrived at 10:00 for a two hour lecture/tutorial walked in to the lecture room armed with memory stick and prayed. I needn't have worried. I touched a touch panel picked the tools I needed, down came a projector screen, on came the projector, up purred the PC and we were in business. I logged on with the username and password that had been emailed to me, got a friendly welcome; it even knew my name and I was in business. I requested internet access and it was there and low and behold when I popped in my memory stick with a presentation and some notes on 'it worked'. I was in heaven I had arrived early because you just don't know what to expect but thanks Surrey I was impressed.

Back to work on Monday, I'll leave my keystick at home forget about using any video or web 2.0 apps as for Google apps, you're having a laugh. Such is life.

2 comments:

Mark C said...

Hi Steve,

Bring it on, the military could do with some of Surrey Universities IT!

I feel your frustration...as an IT manager I tried to introduce the use of memory sticks at my last establishment but could not overcome the security accreditation restrictions.

With large Defence cutbacks looming perhaps MOD should consider having a training wing inside a local university. Thats how we manage to get our hospital medical care now they shut down the Military hospitals!

Steve McGowan said...

Cheers Mark

The wheels keep turning, thanks for the input. I have just set a task in my PAR to get out of the office and visit a few MOD sites to see how they are getting at WEB 2.0 Apps I am upping the anti if you like wish me luck. :-)