Thursday 11 March 2010

I need more hours

There are just not enough hours in the day. H807 is both interesting and challenging I am working with a diverse range of students from all walks in life with plenty on offer. Trying to balance my work life with my study life and my OU tutor life is getting to me this week.

I am thankfully on top of TMA 01 which is a huge weight almost off but I look at my reminder email telling me there are 26 TMAs to mark is depressing me. I want to ignore them and enjoy the studying at the moment but I guess I am going to have to hide away with a few bottles of wine and my laptop over the weekend.
A slight success this week has been the use of web 2 apps to come to a decision on the location of my next tutorial.
Students rightly didn't want to travel to Canterbury, to cut a long story short:
I created an online poll asked all students to complete it and surprisingly 21/26 did, a good start.
Opted for Guildford so change has been made.
To help with this I created a Google map and popped all students postcodes on it this helped to identify the centre of population and I have also used the map to sort out groups for group work later this month. Just in case they want to meet in a pub for some good old fashioned studying.
Good old Google.


3 comments:

Mark C said...

Hi Steve,

If you had more hours in a day you'd only fill them with more interesting things to do!!

I like the way you have used google maps to identify how dispersed your tutor group are. What online polling tool did you use for this task and would you recommend it to others?

Regards
Mark

Steve McGowan said...

Hi Mark
http://pollcode.com/
Yes I would recommend it was easy to use took no time to set up and all I had to do was paste the link to my students. It check IP addresses to prevent multiple entries and there is a separate link for the results. Simple and easy to use. However its not all good news it doesn't work at work if you know what I mean.

Steve McGowan said...

Just following this up. The Tutorial was held at Guildford and six turned up well worth doing I think.
To be honest I was really expecting a couple more from Crawley as well but OU students have busy lives and its always nice to get a good turn out.
See also
http://theguyot.blogspot.com/2010/03/just-sharing-experience.html