Tuesday 30 March 2010

Affordance, 'What way does the technology affect our behaviour when we use it'.


Emails:
I think that the use of emails has changed the way we communicate, most emails are short and straight to the point and quite often full of spelling mistakes and errors in our grammar. However it is seen as a fast and efficient way to communicate and it is more acceptable to see the odd error in an email than it would for instance in a formal letter.
So has this changed our behaviour? Yes, many people used to only writing formally have a problem with emails and get hung up over the language, not to dissimilar from the approach first made to 'text speak' with a mobile phone.
I believe this is because as you use the technology we change our attitude, yes we  could spell check and waste more time, but it is meant to be a quick communication with a colleague that also has the odd typo in his emails.
As for text speak once you have used a mobile phone to send text messages you will very quickly realise why text speak has appeared. What is concerning though is when you see exam scripts containing essays and they are full of text speak.
Blogs
I have been a blogger for years but its only during my H808 and H807 studies that I have really realised its use, I thought it was a lot of fuss about nothing, not anymore though.
As for shaping our behaviour twenty years ago if I suggested you published a diary and allow everyone to read it and make comments about your thoughts, I would have been considered mad. However today its common practice, its an acceptable way of finding out information. If someone is prepared to share their thoughts and opinions with you, then 'thank you very much'. I may find it useful, I may not, but I certainly appreciate it being shared. As more people use Blogs it becomes a wider practice and the benefits are realised.
What affect has this had on our behaviour. We are more likely to share information, we feel we should give as well as take information, a community spirit develops and we form worldwide groups sharing a common interest.
Just a few thoughts I hope I am on the right track here.

No comments: