Tuesday 19 July 2011

W23 Activity 3: Thinking about your own learning

From: my favorites – delicious – Diigo whats next?

I just want to share one experience that probably covers a number of the main points for this activity, my journey through the bookmarking adventure. Once upon a time I used to find a website of use and add it to my favourites. Then my favourites become to big and unmanageable and many favorites had disappeared delivering nothing but the 404 error. Another point that was overlooked was the reason for saving the favourite in the first place. The advent of faster connectivity reduced the need for fast links to websites as a quick google search would usually bring up the page anyway. But my learning was no longer just about websites I needed links to online documents and journals and I needed to find them fast.

Along came delicious now I could save my favourites, make them available from anywhere and more importantly now Tag them giving some relevance and an additional feature of being able to search based on the Tag. Great this was much better.

Delicious looked like it was going bust, panic set in but was unfounded as along ‘Diigo’ and even more features, now I can highlight parts of the page and add notes to the page as well. I can even share within a social network and view other contributors notes and highlights. 

So what is my point. The aim is to store useful information and be able to get to it quickly. All three of the above examples can provide this but as learners start to use the tools and share ideas it becomes more apparent how the tool can be improved upon and  this has been the case with my journey. As it has proceeded each step has brought greater benefit and more reason for using the tool. Thankfully the migration from favourites to delicious to diigo has been straight forward and worth completing, I wonder what is next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Steve, I did not start H800 with Diigo, only got into it part way through. With the pace of the course have never been able to make worthy use of it. I have just signed up for the next module and will start how i mean to go on. As you have quite rightly said favourites is not up to the job - finding out the hard way.
KR jo