Saturday 23 July 2011

My Learning Experience - not quite a 'Circle of Trust'.

The following diagram is my 'Circle of Learning' based on a normal study session on H800. It represents a number of key activities and links to a range of technologies that assist in the learning. I refer to it as a circle of learning because the loop is iterative and should lead me through the activities whilst collaborating and reflecting. Occasionally I may get stuck in a particular area for the whole session or even skip collaboration for example to  move on but at the moment this is a fair reflection on how my learning progresses.
My 'Circle of Learning'
However in reality there is a controllable mass in the way called disturbance which helps to give a much fuller representation of the true experience. From the following representation it is clear that this large mass has to be controlled in order to focus on the learning. However many tools link the two areas together making it more difficult to stay focused on the learning. As I write this I can remember reading an article on a blog which will have popped up in my Google Reader. A quick distraction here but I quickly found it, Foster (2011) offers some timely advice on how to avoid some of the many distractions. Of course as I open Google Reader to find the article I am confronted with an array of disturbance, news, conference postings, articles of interest all fail to distract me on this occasion though.

A more realistic 'Circle of Learning' with disturbance

Foster, D. (2011) 'How to minimize the impact of 5 common distractions', blog entry posted 22 July 2011. Available from http://gigaom.com/collaboration/how-to-minimize-the-impact-of-5-common-distractions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+webworkerdaily+%28GigaOM%3A+Collaboration%29 (Accessed 23 July 2011)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Steve, this is great. I find that the area 'distractions' is massive and sometimes overshadows the circle. For instance, I have just been reading the Thorpe article (W24, A1). Something really interesting popped into my head triggered by the reading, and before I knew it 30 minutes had passed! Perhaps a reification of social constructivism? :-)

Steve McGowan said...

Hi Amanda thanks for the input, yes I am tiring of all the reading at the moment and am quite happy to be distracted, which is not a good thing I am lacking some direction and getting slightly bored of the course content as it comes towards summer.

Anonymous said...

I definately go for the disturbance carbunkle added to yur tree of learning, Corutesy of author Steven Pressfield I like his tem 'resistance' which he applies to wvery activity that in hia case takes him away from writing. He expands on this on his brilliant book 'The War of Art.'