Wednesday 27 April 2011

Where's my bloomin bookmark?

I have been using delicious for a number of years and recently transferred all bookmarks to Google Bookmarks. Now I am looking at DiiGo. I have to confess I set up a Diigo profile by accident last year and didn't really get on with it. Now I have re-visted it and it is much better. This leaves me with bookmarks all over the place but I don't suppose that matters.

I have now imported all my delicious bookmarks to Diigo and plan to experiment, as it took me a while to find the how-to I have linked to it here, it's quite straight forward
http://www.diigo.com/import_all/prepare?service=Delicious
I have also imported all delicious bookmarks to Google which is more straight forward 'Import Delicious bookmarks' is at the top of the page.

So which tool am I going to use then?

My gut reaction is to get used to Diigo and use the tags more diligently rather than the first thing that pops into my head that way I may be able to find a link a lot quicker. But I like the way delicious works and I am a big google fan so I am now in a quandary. Do I use them all, I don't think so for now I am still using delicious because of the speed of adding links and importing to google bookmarks so I guess DiiGo will have to wait for a while.

Now where that bookmark on 'The Global Digital Divide' gone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I blogged about social bookmarking a few weeks ago, diigo has got even better. Like, I installed it in my Google Browser a few days ago, and I noticed it had an import bookmarks button on the tooolbar.

I use different browsers for different things (ie, one for study, one for social networking, and on for work), and this gives me a chance to share bookmarks between them.

When I tag, I initially click on the tags diigo suggests anyway. Then I enter the name of the folder where I would have put it before (ie, H807), and then I enter whatever else comes to mind, such as elearning etc...

This is so much better than how I was doing it before, with bookmarks in different browswers on different laptops, and filed under only one heading!

It reminds me of an episode of Poirot, where Miss Lemon reveals her three filing cabinets of note cards, with cases cross referenced by name in one, case type in the second... and I can't remember the third!

Steve McGowan said...

Hi Kate

You seem well organised here and I like Diigo but want to see how delicious changes now it is new ownership. Thanks for the tips though.