Wednesday 9 September 2009

1.1 Core Activity Introductory Audio 'The elearning professional'

My approach to this reflection is to consider where I am now and how my teaching practice has changed over the years. I consider myself to be a 'Professional', I am technically qualified, a member of two institutions and actively engage in my own professional development. However do I consider myself to be an elearning professional?
My career has seen me develop from a lecturer who traditionally taught using a white board and overhead projector, to one that now utilises modern electronic facilities. No I am not just talking about the dreaded power-point, although it does have its place. I look to develop web based material and online support material to provide both variety and additional support for students. I try to provide online quizzes and extra support material that helps to reinforce learning. I aim to add as much practical content and hands on experience as possible. Whilst I still see the need for some traditional lecture style learning, some of my colleagues see this as the only solution. Whilst I look to use elearning I try to consider what the overall student experience is and whether they are likely to learn. After all some students don't want to learn, elearning if not constructed properly will just give an opportunity to complete a course without actually learning anything. (Shock horror I know, not all students are paying for their course though)

This has meant that I have had to learn a number of new skills and change my approach to learning. I believe like Robin Mason that this skill has evolved and it has only recently been recognised as a profession. I have also experienced the evolution of elearning, I have been privileged to see the OU approach to elearning. Most people would agree that the OU are at the front as far as using the technology is concerned. However I have also seen some pretty poor attempts at turning a classroom based material into click and read web pages, with little or no activity required by the student.

I actually care about the way I present material, I acknowledge that a student these days has differing needs. The younger generation expect to be able to learn on an iPod, check mail from their phone or PSP but some students may prefer to sit and read a paper based course module. I accept that there is further to go but I am prepared to learn and adapt my style to suit the modern student with the main aim of improving the learning experience whilst still ensuring that the material is understood.

So am I an elearning professional?

No comments: