Saturday 24 October 2009

CA 4.1: Multimedia as evidence

Look around the web and Multimedia is everywhere from YouTube videos to music and many tutorials on every possible subject. It can't be that difficult so I spent a few hours playing. What I learnt very quickly is that there are many ways to achieve this and many ways in which you can fail. In short I had a quick look realised how much time it was taking and put it on hold for now.

I created a short video clip on my phone followed by a voice over on my PC using audacity. My plan was to merge the two together using Windows Movie Maker but I couldn't get it to recognise my Movie. I started experimenting with file conversion, no real joy here . I created a PowerPoint presentation instead and started to think about how I would get the video online. It was only a short clip as was the sound file. Google presentations was the answer? Well sort of, this would if I shared it with the world. But Google Presentations only allow a Video linked to YouTube there was no option to embed sound.

This then shifted focus back to PowerPoint and linking to YouTube for the video. I have never used YouTube to upload so this was a first my short clip was uploaded eventually but I still had an issue with the sound file. I pressed on with the presentation ignoring the sound issue. Published it to Google docs from PowerPoint and hoped for the best. My presentation file is downloadable from my Blog, but as expected the sound did not work.
I put my file into the H808 conference and issues were identified by my H808 friends, I had forgotten to share the video on YouTube and as expected the sound was an issue. If I had recorded the sound at the same time as the video this would have solved the problem but I was not starting again.

My first attempt at multimedia was a success I think, I have learnt so much but there must be an easier way. This has lead me to look at alternatives to PowerPoint, slideshare and preezo.com for example. Google Presentations is simple but does not permit audio at the moment but eventually will I am sure.

I really must get on with my TMA.

No comments: