Sunday 27 February 2011

Activity 2: On two metaphors for learning – reading Sfard

I agree it was a bit of a dull read, to be honest is she (Sfard 1998) not stating the obvious learning is about 'acquiring' knowledge and 'participating', there doesn't seem to be one without the other.
'AM stresses the individual mind and what goes into it, PM shifts the focus to the evolving bonds between the individual and others' (Sfard 1998).

Again fair comment but obvious, I don't think I would refer to it as an evolving bond, surely we are just referring to development of students and their professional relationships.
Sorry I just find some of the reading really hard work, the author uses phrases and terminology that means you have to read paragraphs over and over again to get the gist.
'Learning a subject is now conceived as a process of becoming a member of a certain community', I guess social networking is the point she makes here and again happy to agree with this as we sit in our H800 community.

I thought I would end with a metaphor:
Spiral learning: learning comes about through frequent re-encountering of similar ideas in different contexts (Bruner 1996).

Bruner, J (1966). Towards a Theory of Instruction, Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Worth a read I think

No comments: