Thursday 28 January 2010

H808 comes to an end, where next?

Its all been a bit quiet, I guess I have been busy. Where did the last 6 months go. Almost as soon as it started I find myself completing an ECA. And breathing a sigh of relief as the final assessment flies off into cyberspace. Hopefully to return and signal the successful completion of H808, The elearning professional. Now I have had a few moments to catch up I think a gentle reflection is in order.
Its been a fast and furious journey how did it all fit in, we have created wikis, blogs and performed group work. A pause here on the group work because, yes it was a successful group work as a result of the contributions within the group I think. Not easy as group work across the globe is certainly a challenge. I have tutored course with group work and watched groups fail despite all my efforts, you tend to blame yourself as a tutor and think you can control the efforts of your students when you cant.  However a couple of catalyst in the group and you can be away, the trick is plan quickly and layout a flexible structure with clear targets. Members can plan with clear aims other wise the first 3 or four days are wasted and then before you know it a week has past.
OU students are motivated not that students in full time study arent , there is just something different about an OU student. I am not sure it's the fact that they are paying for the course its more to do with the reasons they have for study. 'fun, it keeps the brain active, the materials are second to none, its more than just learning; just some of reasons given to me in the past for my students wanting to study the OU way. As a student myself I can add to this, its certainly not an easy option.
What else have I learnt this year.Having researched and discovered eportfolios I have changed my approach, gone is Pebblepad and in comes Google Docs, Sites and all the trimmings of working in the cloud. I have collaborated online and built a power point presentation with 5 other students. It worked well was easy and was actually effective. I have been a cloud user for over a year but a security issue at work prevents me from fully embracing it which is a pity. It will come I am sure but for now its a case of , steady as she goes.
Academic writing is back on the agenda, I was a bit rusty but it soon comes back, blogging is laid back, no one should read a blog and start correcting the grammar of spellings, come on peeps let the blogger just rattle it off, don't spoil it; we want more blogging and sharing of information. 
Where to next ? Quite simply a short break perhaps a little reflection and its off to H807 and Innovations in elearning, hoping for some inspiration from the Learning Technologies Conference in Olympia.

I almost forgot I am now Tutoring a new course T215 and all the adventures that brings, actually looking forward to it, it was time for a change and it should keep me on my toes.

No comments: